How to Register
Registration certificate issued by the respective health professional council serves as legal recognition of a health profession qualification, competence and suitability that allows them to use the title of health professional and able to get license to practice as health professional in Cambodia.
What are the most important things in this new law?
- First, all health professionals will need to be registered with their respective council to be able to use the title as nurse or other health professions.
- Second, they will need to get a license to practice from their respective council if they want to practice their profession. This includes providing professional care to patients, teaching students of the health profession, undertaking professional or patient care research, professional leadership and management and health care policy. This renewable license to practice is new and different from the license required to operate a cabinet or clinic and will be introduce by the Cambodian Council of Nurses (CCN) from 1 December 2017.
Why are there two steps in the new law: registration and license to practice?
- Registration as a health professional is for life and means that the Council recognizes the person to be technically trained and hold a qualification recognized by the Ministry of Health, has no mental or physical health condition that will impair their professional practice and no criminal conviction in Cambodia or other countries. Once registered with the Council, they are known as a health professional and can use the title of nurse or other health professions.
- License to practice as health practitioner will be renewed every three years with the Council and means that the Council considers the registered health professional continues to be fit to provide professional practice. “Fitness to practice” involves the Council regularly assessing the health status, criminal history and continuing competence of each health practitioner. Continuing competence relates to the health practitioner’s continuing professional development activities and recent professional practice.
For registration and a renewable license to practice, will this apply only to private practitioners? How about nurses who work at public health facilities?
- Registration applies to all nurses. A license to practice applies to all nurses providing professional care to patients, teaching nursing students, undertaking professional or patient care research, professional leadership and management and health care policy. This is regardless of whether they work in private or public health facilities.
What are the documents that nurses should be ready before meeting with registration officer or logging into health professional councils website for registration?
- Certificate verified by municipality/provincial governor
- Photo (4*6) or digital photo (selfie photo) on phone/computer
- ID card
- Criminal record
- money or payment slip (slip for transferring through Wing/AMK
- health certificate
What happens if someone does not follow the new law?
- They will be penalized according to the law. Two examples of penalties in the law are:
- registered nurses who practice without a license to practice shall be punished by imprisonment from 1 month to 1 year and by a fine from 2 to 5 million Riels.
- if someone is not a registered nurse with the CCN and practices their profession, they shall be punished by imprisonment from 6 months to 2 years and by a fine from 5 to 10 million Riels.
- The CCN are focused on helping everyone who does not currently hold registration to act now and register with the council.
- The CCN will then focus on applications from those registered nurse who require a license to practice from 1 December 2017.
Steps for online registration:
- Log into the CCN website: www.cambodiancouncilofnurse.com or at www.hpc-cambodia.com
- Select health professional council (eg. Cambodian Council of Nurses)
- Click for online registration or download the registration form
- Write your name in English with small letters without space
- Put the password with at least 8 digits (can be all letters/all numbers/or mixed)
- Fill in the registration form and attach the requested documents at each part until the end of all parts (do not forget the word “SAVE” at each of the part/page)
III. License and re-license
Why are there 2 steps in the new law: registration and license to practice?
- Registration is for life and means that nurse:
- is technically trained;
- holds a qualification recognized by the Ministry of Health;
- has no mental or physical health condition and
- has no criminal record in Cambodia or other countries.
- License is a legal act to start practicing as a health professional, who is:
- fit to provide professional practice;
- are maintain their competence to practice through relevant trainings
- Re-license to practice is mandatory for health professional to keep continuing their professional develop which means that they are fit to practice. Re-license is done in every three years with the CCN.
COST OF NURSING REGISTRATION and LICENSING